In our town growing up, the oldest man made structure was probably in the downtown area which off the top of my head I'm guessing goes back to sometime in the 1800s. 200 years or so. Can you imagine living a 7 minute walk away from a building nearly 2000 years old like Porta Nigra?
Does everyone know who Constantine is? How about being able to take a 10 minute walk and be at his throne room?
Elector palace from the 1700s anyone?
If that doesn't interest you, maybe Roman baths from the 4th century will. Shortly after Christ, the Romans built this entire structure complete with a heating system including heated floors and walls. It's like an old time rec center! Pools, spas, areas to play sports. People are people always! Only thing that has changed is technology (ok, maybe a few other things too...).
Have you seen Gladiator with Russell Crowe? The places where those "entertaining" fights took place are called amphitheaters, such as the Colosseum in Rome. Well, Trier has the 3rd largest outside of Rome. Crazy! You can even go underground where the fighters were held, and see the cages where the animals stayed while being provoked and tormented before fights. 20 minutes by foot from our apartment!
For all you religion and history buffs, Karl Marx was born here, his house still stands and is a museum all about him.
Sunday comes, hmmm, shall we go to church here....
Or here? Let's go here since this is where the shirt believed to be worn by Jesus is kept.
There aren't many gym options around here, but that's ok, we can take a nice walk or run along the Mosel. If we're feeling ambitious we can even run across the Roman bridge which was the entrance to the city, since the entire city had a wall around it.
I am in awe that I get to live in a city this old (oldest city in Germany) and beautiful with this many amazing sites! God has blessed us ENDLESSLY this year and I'm forever grateful!


Wow! I love this blog--it is wonderful! I can't wait until we get to see your city with you--I am already amazed. When I think of the Roman world I think of Italy and points east, like Isreal. I don't ever think of them being as far north as Germany! That is very cool. I'm excited!
ReplyDelete