Thursday, September 8, 2011

the week continues (9/8/11)

Hallo! Wie Geht's? Ich bin gut! My German class is still going well, and that's about all that has been happening this week. Skye has a lot to do during the week, so we don't get to do a whole lot, and now that I'm in classes, there aren't a lot of exciting things going on.

We got a new teacher, or rather, our normal teacher came the second day. The lady on the first day didn't mention that, and the new teacher didn't tell us why. But it's ok, she is also very sweet and patient. She speaks in English when it's very important which is really helpful. I mentioned how much I appreciate my last Spanish teacher, and I really do, but at the same time, she never ever spoke in English even for the important things, she just expected us to miraculously figure out what she wanted. I always had to stay after class to ask what was going on. haha. So anyways, my German teacher, Vanessa, has the perfect balance. She speaks mostly in German to the point where it is slightly overwhelming (which is good), but she will repeat things in English if necessary or she uses English for important things.

Yesterday in class I felt very alone and very frustrated with my classmates and their lack of social skills. I sat next to two girls from Spain who were very clicky and a bit snooty. I tried making conversation with them, and they talked to me, but they didn't seem interested in being friends with me. A lot of people didn't have books yet, so a girl from Canada had to come share with me. She didn't smell very good. Her breath wasn't great either, I basically wanted to puke every time she opened her mouth, and she kept yawning!!! I tried to be friendly and make conversation but she was just so socially awkward that she didn't get it, poor girl also had some skin problems, some major ones. Anyways, sharing with her was awful! And Isabel from Mexico (who I went to the bookstore with) is really nice, but she seems very shy. And she only talks to me when I talk to her, it was too much of an effort to try and talk to her.

Today was better, the Italian girl initiated a conversation with me, a NORMAL one at that! And so I told her I was going to sit by her, so she and I partnered up on everything during class, and talked about other things, and it was good. So I hope I can be friends with her. Her name is Beatrice, which by the way, is much prettier when pronounced in Italian!

I also went to the auslander office (foreign student office) to see if I could get a free train ticket for the semester and a student id. Unfortunately this is not possible because I'm not enrolled as a student at the university, I just take a German class because Skye is enrolled. I figured as much, but I just wanted to check. I'm just glad I got into the class so easily, and for cheap! This 4 week intensive course, and the winter semester together only cost me 250 euros. That's awesome for a college class! And the book was only 16 euros, a LOT cheaper than the states!

Skye and I plan to go to Bonn this weekend. Do you guys know what is in Bonn? THE HARIBO FACTORY!!!! I may bring my stuff and just move in. hehe.

I wish this blog was more exciting! I have to concentrate on my class during the week and have adventures on the weekend, so this may be a regular occurrence.

OH I should mention what I did this afternoon that was exciting! I skyped with Chara! Hooray! I always get my kitty fix when I talk to her because my nehpcats are always doing silly things on the video. Today Nox was begging for cantaloupe! meowing, freaking out, pacing! Didn't stop til he got some! silly kitty!

7 comments:

  1. YAY! I'm glad I finally got a mention!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear about Bonn!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! It let me post as myself and not be anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is dumb. I tried to post from my laptop (these comments are from my tablet) and I got an error message that "your current account does not have access to view this page." What difference it make what device I use???

    ReplyDelete
  5. What difference DOES it make . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay... and when is it MY turn to skype??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janada shared with a stinky girl from Canada. Neither read an encyclopedia britannica.
    Haha. What rhymes with Canada?????

    ReplyDelete